Saturday, May 10, 2008

Doctor Visit and Chapter Books

On Friday I took the boys to the Doctor for their well-child checkups. Tommy weighs 14 lbs and 3 ounces and is 25 inches long. He is 75% for height and 50% for weight. I was surprised because he increased 25% in both categories. Joseph weighs 34 lbs and is 38 inches tall. He is 75% in both categories. He is our little tank!

After the doctor visit Tommy was sleeping for quite a while and Joseph was playing with play dough in the high chair. I thought that since we seemed to have some time, and because it was a rainy day, I would get out some of my favorite childhood chapter books from the basement to see if Joseph would tolerate listening to one of them. I have been looking forward to sharing these old favorites for a long time, and he seems to have a really good attention span lately. I picked Ribsy by Beverly Cleary and Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingles Wilder, two of my favorites. Not surprisingly he picked Ribsy, because it has a dog on the cover. I started to read aloud, and we read most of the first chapter before Tommy woke up. Not a few times did he stop playing with his play dough to listen more attentively. He was very excited about it and wanted to keep going, but I had to tell him we would continue with it later. Tonight we finished chapter 2, and he was begging me to start "Little House in the Big Woods." I said we will read that after we finish Ribsy, which should take us a couple of weeks. I am so glad that I decided to read these to him, because they are so much fun (for both me and him.)

No comments: