Friday, March 9, 2007

Classics bookclub

Yesterday evening was my first meeting with the classics book club. It was really a lot of fun. Most of the people there were retirees. In fact the only young people there besides me were one young couple and a woman who is probably 10 years older than me. I guess that most people who haven't retired feel like they don't have time for such things.
Anyway, they are using the first series from the Great Books Foundation, and the next two weeks they are reading Hume. I am not going again until May however, when they read Antigone. I really just want to focus on classics that have some application toward my studies in Art History, and I am just not that interested in philosophy.
It was great to discuss Othello after having just read it; almost felt like I was in classes again, but without the pressure.

No comments: